Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Corsair Aircraft - and what I learned

For someone with a declared hobby of WWII aircraft, I don't know a lot.  And for someone who proclaimed that their favorite aircraft included anything with F-4 in the name, I have lots of room to learn.
Not sure why I gravitated to the F-4 Corsair for a personal interest.  Was it the unique gull wing?  Was it a 70's TV show?  Who knows, but the attraction is there.
I am fortunate to see them fly before the last one is grounded.  And the noise, don't get me started.
And as I found out this past weekend, I might have a high school degree in the subject of the Corsair - but far from a BS.  (Ha...)  
When I see an interesting (to me) aircraft at an air show, I like to do a bit of research on the actual aircraft.  If it is on the web, the information must be correct, eh?  But you can believe at least 80% of the internet search.  And that is what happened in my last search of aircraft N43FG.
Aircraft N43FG looks like a F4 Corsair.  And I would have lost the identity bet.  Aircraft N43FG is a FG-1D Corsair.  WTH?
A quick search of Wikipedia helped clear the confusion.  I listened to the Book Arsenal of Democracy a few months ago.  Although there are many subject lines discussed, the aircraft subject got me the most.  Many aircraft were built by many manufacturers under licensing agreements.  And in the case of aircraft N43FG, FG-1D is the designation of a Corsair licensed built by the Goodyear Company between 1943 and 1945 (EOW).  There were just over 4,000 built by Goodyear company.  In very round numbers, this was about 1/3 of the total built for the war effort.
There is the rest of the story.
But the eye test tells me this is a Corsair, and it could have been on the TV show.  Only the data plate will tell.
At Thunder over Michigan this year, the Corsair put on a very nice show.
It is nice to be able to get on the ramp when the people traffic is slow.


FG-1D Corsair on the Ramp
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8
38 mm, 1/320 sec, f/6.3, ISO 64
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

As the show went along, I dropped my shutter speed for taxi shots from 1/200 to 1/60.


FG-1D Corsair Close Taxi
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8
170 mm, 1/160 sec, f/11, ISO 64
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size FX

This shot was taken early Friday afternoon, when the sky was somewhat passable.  Not sure how this happened, but it turned out pretty good.


FG-1D Corsair Left Bank
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6
292 mm, 1/200 sec, f/11, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Every day is good when you learn something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment