Sunday, July 10, 2022

Swamp Fox from Selfridge Open House - 2022

I went to the Selfridge ANGB Open House on what was by Michigan standards was an excellent day for flying.  The show line-up was really interesting.  The show headline was the F-22 Raptor demo team, supported by the CRAF CF-18 demo team.  The C is for Canadian.  
Other supporting performers were the Misty Blues All Female Parachute Team, a Curtiss JN-4 "Jenny" bi-plane, a F100F Super Sabre, a A-1D Skyraider and many others.  There were a lot of first time aircraft for me - always a bonus!  And did I mention, a really nice Mid-west blue sky.  All that was left was for me not to screw up the shots.
I hit the business button over 1900 times and came away with 130 decent shots.  (Lots of slow shutter speeds for effect.)  Culling shots is often like choosing sides for an All-Star team.  Every category has at least one entry.  A lot of deletions, to which my alter ego will say is BAD, BAD, BAD.
Recently, I had changed from shooting in MANUAL mode to Speed Priority for air events.  I also upped default frame rate from 3 FPS to 7 FPS.  (That might have something to do with the increase in number of shots taken.)  I may have to change back.  There were a number of shots where the metering made 'creative' color changes.  Can't have that - I don't like competing creativity - especially from a computer chip.
This was a really good show, despite over 100k people and their cars and all the issues that brings on.  Everyone had a good time.  Nice skies, and upper 70s with a cool lake breeze going.
A lot of the performers were prop driven.  There was one P-51 flying, the local favorite Swamp Fox.  
Every now and then, you just catch one right.  I've been lucky with catching focus before, but the positioning and the sky will often deter from a really good shot.  Not this time.


Swamp Fox Left Bank
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31/80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
435 mm, 1/200 sec, f/16, ISO 100
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size DX

Most of my P-51 shots come from Reno where I never get this angle.  In Reno, I'm sitting on the outside of the turns, I get a lot of underbelly.  This is on the inside of the bank.  Maybe that is why I like this one so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment