Saturday, July 23, 2022

Curtiss Wright P-40M

This was my second year at the Thunder over Michigan airshow, but third year of trying.  It was that damn Covid thingie.  I made it last year, and this year.  From what I can tell, they try to have some sort of theme every year.  Last year, it was the gathering of B-25s.  This year, it was WWII fighters.  The American fighters, British fighters and German fighters were represented.  Better yet, they were flying.  And making noise.
This particular aircraft is owned by the Tri-State Warbird Museum in Ohio.  It was built in 1943.
The P-40 Warhawk was exported to a number of Allied countries.  The P-40M signified an Allison engine instead of a Packard Merlin engine.  This particular aircraft paint scheme looks to be a Royal New Zeeland Air Force.  (Just a guess)  And as such, would not be a Warhawk, but a Kittyhawk III.  And that is how it was advertised on the show aircraft list.  It all comes together.
This was one of the aircraft in the Night Shoot.
I really did like the paint on this aircraft.  Very different from what I've seen before.  There is a P-40 that races in Reno that is a traditional olive green.  The extent of my exposure to P-40s.
So for the show, this was a fun aircraft to watch fly.  And to listen to.


P-40 Kittyhawk III Close Taxi
NIKON D850 Ver.1.20/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8
135 mm, 1/60th sec, f/9, ISO 64
EV 0, Shutter Priority, Size FX

I like this take off shot a lot for a few reasons. First, the prop tip contrails are just plain cool.   I've seen these before in other photos, now I have mine.  The other thing was, I made a mistake.  I usually shoot military props at 1/200 second.  For some reason, I was shooting at 1/1000 second.  In this case, it worked.  Aircraft relatively sharp.  And the props are not frozen, just a degree away.  For the take off, that seems to be OK - but for the prop tip contrails - it is a must.


P-40 Kittyhawk III Take Off
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31 /NIKKOR 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
600 mm, 1/1000th sec, f/5.6, ISO 640
EV +1, Shutter Priority, Size DX

This inflight shot really illustrates the aircraft markings.  It also looks like I'm beginning to favor the bank shot where the cockpit and pilot open up more.  Also, the sky was so bad in this shot just a total white.  I'm happy with cooling WB of the sky as opposed to replacing the sky.  Turned out OK, and yes that is something else learned.


P-40 Kittyhawk III Show Pass
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31 /NIKKOR 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
315 mm, 1/200th sec, f/7.1, ISO 100
EV +1, Shutter Priority, Size DX

Again, in this shot the sky is so bad, but there is a smidgen of definition.  And a cool pilot silhouette.


P-40 Kittyhawk III Decent
NIKON D500 Ver.1.31 /NIKKOR 80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
420 mm, 1/200th sec, f/9, ISO 100
EV +1, Shutter Priority, Size DX

Whenever I see these old warbirds in the air, I can picture and hear hundreds in the sky.  Aside from that pesky war thing, what a time in aviation.

No comments:

Post a Comment