Sunday, June 16, 2019

A4 Skyhawk

When I was stationed at Kadena AB in the early 80s, one of the first aircraft I noticed was this smallish fighter - that made a lot of noise.  At that time in my life, I didn't know much about the military aircraft inventory so I didn't know what it was.  At some point, someone probably told me it was a A4 - but probably not much more.
With Kadena close to 40 years in the rear view mirror, I thought I'd never see one of these again.  Ever.
The A4 Skyhawk  was used by the Marines and Navy from the mid-50s to 2003.  It is a delta wing, single engine, single fighter that could pack a pretty good punch.  It could carry more ordinance than a WWII B17 at 4,000 lbs.  The Skyhawk was exported to many US allies and remained in service for many (10+) years after the Navy moved on to the STOL Harrier.  The Skyhawk was used by the Navy's Blue Angles to bridge the gap from the F4 Phantom and the current F18 Hornets.


From the Kadena Airshow, 1981 (?)





From my favorite photo stand at the end of the runway, taxiing into position.





Lining up for take-off.



So, when I read that the A4 would be part of the heritage flight this weekend, I was incredibly happy.  One of those closing circles in life that I enjoy.

From this weekend:








I think it's awesome that people care enough to preserve these aircraft and dedicate the time to share with all.  And the fact the Navy, and Air Force, will continue to include them in the Heritage Flight programs for the memory of where air power came from is a great idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment