Monday, June 17, 2019

Wings over Northern Michigan Heritage Flight

I am quickly becoming a rabid fan of Air Show Heritage Flights.  I will admit that that as a AF veteran, I naturally assumed that it was the province of the Air Force to do these types of things.  Clearly I was wrong on this.  The Navy can do it as well.  
The basic premise of a Heritage Flight is to show current air power with a link to the past - on which air power was built.
My first glimpse of this was a P51 and F16 flying together last September in Reno at the Air Races.  Earlier this year, I saw the Class of 45 demo team doing a quasi Heritage Flight with a P51 and F4U-4 that I enjoyed equally as much.
This past weekend's air show's Heritage Flight was a bit of a surprise for me, I didn't know about it until almost the day before.  This was a flight with a A4 Skyhawk and EA18G Growler.  I have a bit of history with the A4 Skyhawk.  Very cool to see the Skyhawk fly along side of the Electronic Warfare version of the F18.




A4 Skyhawk and EA18G Heritage Flight
315 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/9, ISO 125 (Auto)
EV -1, Manual

Photographically this was not that simple.  The shadows cast due to the aircraft banking were something to deal with.  I need to come up with a process to deal with this effect.  I tried to lighten the shadows in the A4 post and it did OK, but still want a better transition.  For this photo, I did the fake HDR routine with Photomatix.  Takes a little time, but compared to the starting point much more to my liking.  

No comments:

Post a Comment