Tuesday, August 17, 2021

B17 Yankee Lady - Low Pass

One of the benefits of photographing aircraft from our location at the Thunder over Michigan show at the end/beginning of the show flight path was the banking profiles of the aircraft that were flying close to us lining up for flight in front of the spectators.  The prevailing winds for the show generally put us at the entrance to the flight path.

One of the last photos for me of the event was of the Yankee Lady doing her thing.  At two and a half days in the books, I was truthfully photoed out.  For Sunday, I had put the long lenses away and was going to work with only subjects close to me.  But I'm a sucker for the local B17 and anytime I see it flying, I will try for something.

As to the photo, finally had some decent sky to work with.  But what really got me was the tack sharp image.  On the aluminum skin, it is rivet peeping.  Prop blur, check.  No sharpener needed for this one.  And the nose art, perfect.  So it gets posted.  Noting fancy, just technically good.

The Yankee Lady in a low pass.

B17 Yankee Lady Low Pass
NIKON D500 Ver.1.30/NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED
202 mm, 1/160 sec, f/14, ISO 100
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

By the end of the show, I had a few things figured out.  Nailed the ISO at 100.  I usually don't like using any aperture setting above F/11 - but the F/14 did its job and I can't find any issues with it.  With this lens, I'd use it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment