Friday, August 20, 2021

The C17 Globemaster Multiple Points

I didn't like the C17.  Didn't like it at all.  It is small.  Sounds like a female moose in heat.  (Fact).  Small crew, no Flight Engineer.  What's the point?  I didn't like the C17 in the way that a big brother says they don't like their little brother.  I'm a C5 guy.  That is also a fact.  I'm also very proud of what the C17 has done this week.  In the same way a big brother is proud of the little brother, when the little brother does good.

Cargo is cargo.  The cargo air crews move the freight.  The C5 had its most famous non-freight flight in Viet Nam.  This week the C17 did the same.  As a cargo crew alumni, I am proud.  Whatever number you go with, either 600+ or 800+, this crew did it right.  As I was listening to their story on the news this morning, and they were talking about the training - I had flashbacks.

I saw a C17 fly an airshow demo at MCAS Beaufort in April of 2019.  I lost of lot of my personal hate toward the airframe that day.  It flew like a fighter.  OK, at over-weight fighter.  But it still moved well.  I had a chance to tour a C17 in Reno later that year.  As I sat in the co-pilot's seat, I identified myself as part of the Cargo Club.  From the pilot's seat, the Moose driver pointed to a small area on the overhead console, and said that was the Flight Engineer.  We had a chuckle.  I made a brief comment about George (auto pilot).  I didn't press the point too hard, as I had a long way to go to get off the aircraft.  Again, more chuckling.  It's a club thing.

What's common between the C5, the C17 and the very special breed it takes to crew the C-130 is the air crew.  We're not a fast jet crew.  But when cargo, or people, needs moving the cargo aircrew will get the job done.

To the C17 crew of the special cargo moved this week - Cheers!  May you never have to buy another drink, anywhere, again.

I have a previous post of a C17 takeoff here.  That was the best picture of the bunch for the day for me.  Best being easiest to edit.  But with a few more years of editing behind me, I could tackle the difficulties I caused my self that day.

That day, I made photography tough on myself.  Didn't meter right.  Used spot metering.  I remember it well, like it was yesterday.  Last time I ever used spot metering.  At least the shot was in focus.  Small victories, and RAW format.  And layers and masking.

This is the C17 doing a dirty pass for the show.  Looks like the gear is not fully down and locked.  Looking back, 1/4000 second shutter speed is unnecessarily fast.  And the ISO could easily be taken to 100.  Call it learning curve.

C17 Dirty Pass
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
217 mm, 1/4000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 250 (AUTO)
EV -1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Shooting way above the horizon gave a nice blue sky.  Getting closer to the horizon, gives a more hazy look.  Same sky.  Lots of South Carolina humidity.  And distance.

C17 on Approach
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
375 mm, 1/4000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 (AUTO)
EV -1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

In a week, I will get a chance to see the Moose fly at the London (Ont) airshow.  I'll bring a few more years photography experience.  Still thinking what combos to take across the border.  Less equipment would probably be better.  But....  What's the fun in less?  Anyway, the demo will mean a bit more to me this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment