Sunday, March 28, 2010

Grand Haven Splash


I've been looking forward to playing with this shot.  I thought this - and the rest of the series - were goners.  This was taken in the late afternoon looking almost directly into the sun.  (Some of the shots in this series have the sun in them!)  This is facing directly west.  I had the camera set up for taking shots to the east - and they turned out great.  Not so good facing west.  The original shots are very dark. 
Good thing I make rookie mistakes.  I've always believed in digital photography and shooting RAW, it is much better to under expose then over.  Overexposed colors are lost, can't bring them back.  Underexposed takes some effort, but the colors can be saved.
So I walked out past the front light, wind was pushing me around.  I had to rotate this shot one degree to level the horizon because I was leaning into the wind!  I was listening to the water to try to time the splash.  And i forgot to look at the settings.
Good thing I was confused.  I like the shot and to colors through the water spray.

1/640 f/10
Aperture Priority
ISO 200
Focal length 30 mm (45 mm for 35mm film)

No comments:

Post a Comment