Saturday, July 27, 2019

Saddle Stand

Today's field trip took me to the Thumb of Michigan.  There is an agricultural museum that goes by the Thumb Octagon Barn.  The organization that runs the place had a open day for people to come out and see what they are doing.  And I did leave a donation.  In a few weeks they are having a huge party and I think this was a way to gin up some interest.
The building itself is huge.  As with any museum, there are a lot of artifacts on display.  In this case, this is farming in the early 1900s.  As a student of the world, a lot of the stuff was interesting.  As a photographer, I found a few items that caught my interest.
The first item that caught my interest was a saddle stand.  I'm not much of a farm person, so there may be a technical name for this thing, but I'm going with the simple.  This stand was not on the main 'path' through the barn.  It seems that this area was still in use by real farm critters.  Large critters.  And the odor confirmed it.  It was great.  Hay and cow/horse crap.  And next to the hay store, was this saddle stand.  With a bit of window light on it.  The scene was generally dark, except for the ray of light.  In spit of that, I got most of what I wanted.




Saddle Stand
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
24 mm, 1/60 sec, f/5.0, ISO 800 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL, Size DX

For fun, I thought this might be interesting monochrome.  And it turned out OK.



I don't usually do a lot of this effect, but in this case it works for me.  That looks 1800s to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment