Friday, December 21, 2018

#1223 in Grand Haven

While looking for information on the PM 1225, it turns out that a train of the same series exists in Grand Haven.  I know this, and I've seen the train on display.  Grand Haven has a lighthouse that I've been to a few times - and the train display is close by.
Photo note, this was very flat sky day.  I took this image on the D500's test run a few weeks ago.  This was taken in Aperture priority mode.  In order to battle the flat sky, I shot with -1.67 exposure compensation.  That's pretty low for me, I usually don't drift south of -1, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Back to the train:  



Essentially, the #1223 and #1225 shared similar paths and dates.  After 'retirement' in 1951, this train was saved from the scrap yard in 1960 to be a display at the state fairgrounds in Detroit.  In 1981, the train was moved to Grand haven where it sits today.  The train is cosmetically restored - and looks pretty good.
From of the cars on display:



And the train display:




ISO 100, f/11, 1/80 sec (Aperture Priority -1.67)
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

Looks in pretty good shape for being out int he elements.  I'm fairly certain this train will never move again, but you never know.
This train learning experience has been a fun journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment