Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Carland Elevator - Paint

I really like the Carland Elevator image.  Problem is, as much as I like it, there is no zip, zang or whatever to make it stand out. The sky is way too bland and flat.  The subject, unless you like yellow, old machines and an optically challenged blue building it probably isn't for you.
I always liked doing something different with images.  Plenty of great photographers out there, I'm not going to compete.  But I've found my niche where I'm happy.  But this year, for the trains, planes and nature I've gone straight photograph.  And I'm real happy with it.  When I get more comfortable with these subjects, I may stray to the HDR/contrast look that I like.  Who knows the future?
Back to the present and the Carland Elevator.  This image wasn't just a 'snap'.  I saw the image in my head - and worked to get it.  It just didn't work out.  Stuff happens.  No participation trophy.
So usually when I get a shot I like, but can't do much with it - I'd go HDR.  See what happens.  And I did with this, but the sky was so flat - nothing came out.  Except the halos.
Where do you go when HDR doesn't work? - and you want to keep the shot.  Now I have another option.  Let's paint it.
And this is what I have:


How do you make an old, cold chunk of metal older and colder?  I'm not crazy about the trees on the right, but I can live with it.  The sky ain't pretty, but it ain't flat either.  In the end, I like how this was 'saved'.  It makes the screen saver list.


No comments:

Post a Comment