Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Cold Passage in B&W

For the club meeting this week, this month's subject is winter.  I already had two entries ready, one of the Tahquamenon Falls with a lot of ice and one of St. Joseph North Pier Light with a fair amount of snow and ice.  I was looking for a couple of winter shots that could be converted to for the monochrome category.   I found an interesting angle for the often photographed St. Joe's light.  Lots of good ice on the rail, and a different side of the walk way that I usually don't show.  The B&W angle is very interesting.


ISO 400, f/16, 1/200 sec, 31 mm
NIKON D90/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

Looking for the second entry in the category, I found some shots of a laker taken from the Mackinac side of the straights.  This was taken on a short trip up north in January 2015.  It looks cold.  Both shots look cold.
When I saw this image, I knew where I wanted to go.  Make it look historic.  I wanted to keep it mostly B&W, and not add any off coloring like I've used in the past.  I think this image can carry the load without any distractions.


ISO 400, f/9, 1/1600, 200 mm
NIKON D90/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

That just screams Great Lakes in the winter!
Actually both shots do.

No comments:

Post a Comment