Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Christmas Cards are done,,,,,

The 2018 Christmas Card production phase is done.  The cards are now in the hands of the house public relations department.
The project was in trouble of a timely completion when the R1900 printer quit working last weekend.  Thanks to on-line shopping and cyber something sales, the replacement XP-15000 showed up mid week, was installed and card project is back on track.
I don't know how the caveman ever progressed out of his/her/its cave?  And I'm not sure how small stores will ever survive.
As when I bought the R1900, no one carries photographic printers locally.  Lots of big box stores were happy enough to order it for me.  Every option was two-three days away.  And if you're going to order it for me, why would I opt to have to drive to your store to pick it up?  As much as I don't like what Amazon is doing to small market America, I still use them.
First impression is the printer is really good.  It is not top of the line.  My printing needs don't require a $1K product.  If I need that sort of a one time result, I'll take it to a professional printing lab.  Being as it is not top of the line, when functioning it sounds plastic-y.  That's a technical term, right?  Anyway, the R1900 sounded solid, this new on not so much.  The other con is that the XP doesn't like stock paper through the rear feed.  Of the 35 cards I printed, I had to 'help' at least 30 initiate.  I've printed a few 4x6 images on regular photo paper through the rear feed without issue.  If stock paper feed is the only issue, I'm good.  
The image on the presentation paper is really good.  No runs, no drips, no errors.  Lots of technology improvements in the last eight years.  
I was happy with the ink consumption, or the lack of.  For the 35 cards and initial print head charge, it looks like just over 25% used.
The 4x6 test prints are good.  So far, I just printed at a standard level.  I'll probably rip off a larger print tomorrow with a higher quality setting.
The initial set up was easy.  One major difference for the ink cartridges was to not shake them up.  For the R1900, there was a written suggestion to shake the cartridge prior to install.  Not the case for the XP.  Sort of glad I looked at the instructions.  Apparently could have been very messy.
I did have an odd issue this morning when starting the card's project.  I would try to print from PS, and the program would end abruptly.  This wasn't in the plans.  This abend happened to any print I tried.  I removed all the Epson software for the R1900 and XP, and re-installed the new XP software, again.  It worked.
Looking forward to a long healthy relationship with this printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment