Saturday, December 1, 2018

P51 Unlimited (Goldfinger) with.......

On the final day of the Air Races, prior to the championship Unlimited class race, there is a 'presentation' of the airplanes/racers.  All the crew get their photographs taken with the pilots and aircraft.  It is a production.


This is the crew of the #2 Goldfinger, a P51D out of Carson City, NV.
The P51s in the unlimited class are heavily modified.  Just sayn'.  Notice the colored tips on the end of the prop blades, you'll see them again.
While all these aircraft were just sitting there, engines started and set to idle maybe between 800 and 1000 RPM, if I can't get some form of prop blur here, it will never happen.  And although this was late in the day, the sun was left quarter and behind me.  Very few clouds.  Again, can't ask for better photographic conditions.
Fortunately this was the last race of the last day and I was pretty confident in my setup.
The Goldfinger is pretty much chromed out.  As a result, the blue sky reflections seem to be all over the airplane.  I was tempted to do a B&W version, and still may, but the overall colors are too good to mess with.  (Although on a really cold, crappy weekend, what about a B&W with the prop features in color?  That would get lifted for sure.)  
Anyway, after the crew photos and engine start I started taking photos at shutter priority, set at 1/80 second.  That put me at f/29.  That's rarefied air for me.  I get the best performance from my lenses f/5 to f/8 area.  I can go to f/11, but after that I start looking for other options.  And again, next year will be ND filters for me.  Damn those western sunny skies.
Anyway, back to the prop blur.  If I can't get it at 1/80 - again never will.  So here we are, sun shining on yellow tipped props and a stationary subject.


ISO 100, f/29, 1/80 Sec, 202 mm (Shutter Priority)
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/Nikon AF-P NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR

This final image is heavily cropped.  I struggle with getting too tight on zoom and then wanting something more in the final edit - or like this have way too much uninteresting 'stuff' that has to get cropped out.  Guessed wrong here, but it passed the monitor test.
No editing the blur on this one.  Not necessary.  In flight however, 1/80th won't do.  But then again, the RPM will be closer to 3k.  That's doable, but I won't settle for f/29.  I'll never get a really good shot with that opening, or I should say I can always get a better, sharper shot.
Next year, next year, next year......  But for this shot - awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment