Sunday, December 16, 2018

PM #1225 Rolling By

From yesterday's "Chasing the Polar Express" adventure.  
This was an unexpected stop to catch the train.  Our group figured we'd never catch the train until it finished it's run.  Thankfully, we were wrong.
This image was taken where the RR crosses M57, just south of Ashley, MI.
For my first time in this environment, I'm OK with the results.  And I'm really happy with the 18-200 lens on the D500.
Next time, I'll position myself further away from the tracks, and use the longer lens for more framing options.
Here is the original, Nikon JPG:


As I don't use JPGs much, the settings on the camera are very average (bland).  I mostly use the JPGs for comparison, when I can.
And then this is why I shoot RAW.

ISO 1000, f/5.0, 1/2500 sec, 44 mm
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

I recently changed my format to 1920 x 1080 to fit my monitors.  On this image, that format didn't work.  One of the most interesting parts of the image is the steam exhaust.  Again, next time.  Back to format, the 1920 x 1080 would not capture the entirety of the steam.  On the D500, the original size ration is 3:2.  So, I'm going with 1920 x 1280.  Gotta get it all.
The removal of the pole and wires was done with PS.  It did take some time and I'm not entirely happy with the upper right hand corner.  The wires on the left came out great.  I've become really happy with PS content aware fill improvements, but I should also try On One's process.
have figure this all out for next weekend's excursion.  No pressure.


No comments:

Post a Comment