Wednesday, September 25, 2019

F18s at Reno

Between the races, there are airshow type events.  Many are military in nature.  There are more well known performers such as the Thunderbirds and Blue Angles.  There are also lesser known, but just as exciting and informative such as the F16 and F22 Demo Teams.  As I've mentioned before, I like the races and this year I learned to appreciate them more, but I don't miss the military shows.  No food runs, no bathroom breaks.  In the stands, ready to view.  No apologies.
As I look forward to the 2020 airshow tour, I'm excited that two stops will be military related.  The southern therapy tour in April will see me at the Charleston Joint Base Expo and after that I'll be introducing two of the younger family members to the airshow experience at the MCAS Cherry Point show in May.  Earplugs required.
Back to the races, one of the show events on the schedule was a F18 Demo.  The F18s are the current aircraft of the Blue Angles.  But the Blue Angles can't be everywhere, so there are Demo Teams that are mostly funded by the recruitment budget (I'm guessing, but it would make sense.) that will still push the show.  There were four Hornets at the Races, two for static display and two for flight ops.
The Demo team took the skies the first day, and not sure what happened after that but there were no shows on the other days.  Not going to lie, it was a bit of a disappointment.
Not only was I looking forward to the air demo, but the F18 usually takes part in the heritage flight event.  The heritage flight is a favorite for me, that is what an aircraft from the past flies in formation with a current inventory aircraft.  I have two previous posts with Heritage Flights earlier this year, a P51 and F16 and a F18 and A4.
The F18 is an older aircraft, being introduce in the mid-1990's.  Some would say it is old, I would say it is tough to replace.  That it is still in use by the Blue Angles is all you need to know.
I saw a single F18 do a mini-demo (awesome photo) earlier this year at Wings over Northern Michigan show.  Based on what I saw there, I was really interested to see a more 'formalized' demo.
Disappointment aside, I did get a few good shots.
Because I had seen the aircraft fly earlier in the year, I didn't have to take so many 'guess what it will do next' shots.  With the exception of the two flying in formation, all were single shots.  Which only interests me.

The F18 on take-off centered with the Reno home pylon.  Not real exciting if this doesn't capture your interest.  Too bad I can't add the sound.




F18 on Take-off Reno
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
400 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 110 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I like formation flying.  The more the better, but I'll take two.  Takes a lot of faith in your equipment, training and partner to do even this.




F18s in Formation
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
315 mm, 1/2500 sec, f/6.3, ISO 180 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This is interesting photograph.  This is a single shot, so figure the lag time to see the beginning of the formation break and the shutter release.  And I think I got the right shot.




F18s Split
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
360 mm, 1/1600 sec, f/6.3, ISO 320 (AUTO)
EV +.33, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

One of the more interesting monuments of the event was after landing, the aircraft were taxiing in front of the stands, then did a loop.  Usually don't see this type of congestion at an airfield - unless they were demoing traffic patterns on an aircraft carrier deck.




F18 Congestion
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
280 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 100 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size 1.3

Jets, even on the ground - fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment