Saturday, September 7, 2019

Reno Time - 2019

Time for total Air Show concentration.  Except, of course, for time dedicated to the paying job.
I'm a bit behind.  I was thinking that I'd have last week to get hyped, maybe one quick trip to the Refuge this weekend.  None of that happened, last week was dedicated to something else.
Last week did find me in North Carolina for a few days.  Away from the hurricane.  The only reason I bring this up is I'm thinking that chasing a hurricane up the coast could be a bucket list thing.  It only moves at 10 mph, right?  In this case Dorian paralleled the coast for a few hundred miles.
Back to the airshow next week.  I'm planning on making better use of the four days I will see essentially the same action.  Last year, I was just so happy to be there.  This year, I'll try to act like I've been there before.
Because I'm not a professional, I can't go with the 'real' photographers.  I asked already.  No press pass.  Already thinking about how to skirt that issue for 2020.  Back to 2019, I'll have to be more adventurous.  Our seats are great for the start/finish line.  Center airfield for the other demonstration events.  For the most part, my shots were all from the same place last year.  That needs to change.
For four days, most of the action will be same.  There are heat races to determine the finals.  The Thunderbirds will be pretty close to the same thing every day - and that needs to be from the seats.  Or does it?  Everything else needs a different, not better, perspective.
I'm thinking a change of vantage point is going to be good.  I'll have a pit pass, and I should get more on the ground action shots.
The weather is looking to be fantastic.  I have a better camera day bag this year, if I don't forget it....  That will help.
After last year, I thought I'd invest in some neutral density filters to help with shutter speed to get prop blur.  At the Traverse City airshow, I did some work with my CPL and that turned out OK.  So I'll do the same at Reno.
Tomorrow will be packing the equipment.  There will be some cleaning of lenses.  Making sure the batteries work.  And this year I have extra memory cards.
Time to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment