Sunday, September 22, 2019

Five T6s in the Turn

This image pretty much defines a lot of the challenges taking pictures at the races from the stands.
First, the subjects are far away.  This shot is 450 mm, and pretty aggressively cropped.
I was doing the math for another post, but it applies here as well.  Assuming they are traveling at 225 MPH, they are traveling at 330 feet per second.  This shot was take at 1/800 sec.  Quick math gives me about .4 feet or 5 inches during that shot.  What are the chances of a crisp, clear shot?
The chances for a good shot decrease as the line if flight is directly across your view.  The chances for a better shot increase as the aircraft's line of flight is toward you, with a direct frontal shot being the best chance.
All that being said, when in the stands, the frontal shot is a long way off.  Did I say bigger lens?
As my thoughts get organized for next year, I can get away with slower shots as the aircraft are coming out of the turn.  Just need the bigger lens.  Maybe rent the prime 500 mm?  Probably not enough room on the credit card for the deposit.  Ha.  I have a year to work it out.
This was from far way.  I do like the fact that the wings are not on the same plane, a little chaos.  A little prop blur.  In other shots, that didn't come out so well, I shot at 1/320 in the same area and the blur was much better and I think I can get better shots.  Also for next year, if I get out of the stands and further down in the pits, I might get closer to a point int he turn where I can get more of a head on shot.  I had kind of the idea this year, but the reality of the environment escaped me.  I have a year to bake it.
The T6s in a turn.




Five T6s in a Turn
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
450 mm, 1/800 sec, f/10, ISO 320 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Need a bigger lens.

1 comment: