Monday, September 9, 2019

Reno Time - 2019 (Part II)

Starting to get really excited.  Thursday can't come fast enough.
Really starting to hone in on the photo strategy.  In looking at last year's images, the biggest item for me is the prop environment.  I've worked a lot this year to get it right - or not miss so badly.  Pressure.
When you think about it, the worst pace to be (almost) is the start/finish line.  Unless you hit the pan correctly, the image at 1/200 or slower will never be that sharp.  I'm not giving up that seat, however.
I will have to find places with better angles.  I know where I'm going, just hope it works out as well as I think it will.  Again, I get four days of trial and error.
The other thing I want to work on is more, or more interesting shots of life not in the air.  I took a few last year, and at the time I didn't think much about them but the story is there to be told.

Mechanics prepping Miss America for the day.



On the ramp, gearing up for the race.



I'm glad I took these even if it takes time passing to enjoy them.

The other aspect of the weekend, and it is not lost on me that this is a dangerous sport.  The slowest of the aircraft is faster than most NASCAR event.  Last year there was an 'incident'.  I didn't find out any details until the next day, but did manage to get a picture of the primary 'victim' after the aircraft successfully recovered to the airfield.  It's funny, but I had no idea what I was taking a picture of, just a lot of emergency equipment around an aircraft.  Just keep shooting.
Hint: everyone survived, and that's good.
A good video of the incident can be seen here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAtIm_uenpA

L39 with Wing damage.



More things to think of.  It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment