Friday, September 13, 2019

Reno Day 1 - Thunderbird Crossing

Day one is in the books.  Could not have asked for more!
First, the people I travel with here are fantastic.  Catching up for the past year was a lot of fun.
Next, the weather is great.  A little on the warm side, but I'll be crabbing about the cold Michigan weather in a few weeks, so I'll take it.
Today was spent trying to get the right speeds to catch each class of aircraft.  I have a few good hits.  Taxiing aircraft about 1/80.  Racers about 1/320.  Going with that tomorrow.  And with some luck, I won't forget my CPL to help slow some of the shots.
And on the other end, the Thunderbirds did a survey flight today.  Not a show, not a practice.  Just getting a lay of the land.  Still fun.
During one pass, the aircraft passed close to the stands, full AB.  Seriously, car alarms were triggered.  That was very cool.  I will be wearing ear plugs for the performances.
On the other end of the speed equation, 1/1600 was not fast enough to get this on right.  Close, but not right.  Seems to me, I need to be in the 1/2400+ range.




Thunderbird Crossing
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15 /70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
1/1600, 400 mm, f/8, ISO 200 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size 1.3

There's a lot to be said here for shooting 5 FPS. I had been going with 3 FPS, and in this case that might not have worked.  The image before and the image after are of one aircraft only.
Practice, Practice, Practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment