Friday, May 1, 2020

New Bird - Greater Yellowlegs

May 1, 2020.  Today, some of the Michigan restrictions have been removed, or altered.  This morning, the lawn dude was out to feed the lawn.  It's a step in the right direction.
One of the other openings today was the Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge,  One month early.  Sometimes the stars just line up.
Seems the Refuge Eagle's nest along the drive was not used this past year.  And so the drive opened up a month early.  Spoiler alert, I did see some eagles there today, so there is a nest close by somewhere.
Seems to me that over the past two years one of the the things I've found is that most of the nature action is mid to later in the year with nicer weather and in the earlier time of day.  I had to do some work for the paying job today, but I had the afternoon off.  I was at the Refuge from about 3:00 to 4:00 in the afternoon.  So, zero for two.  But the day was nice and warm, sunny and I was not required to stay at the house.  A winner all around.
The Refuge was very crowded today.  Lots of nature lovers spreading their own wings today.
I like going early mornings to the Refuge because the lack of cars allows the critters to do their own thing.  I get my best action shots.
One thing I noticed about the Refuge this year is that it gave a new meaning to the term wetlands.  Place was completely flooded out, in a managed sort of way.  All the construction last year was said to be to hold water longer.  We'll see in a few months, but there was a lot of water there today.  And it looked like there were Beaver dens everywhere.  Not that I'm an expert and can always tell the difference between a beaver and woodchuck, but I have seen beaver dens and these collection of sticks could be it.  But usually when I've seen these before, the dam is not far away.  Here, no dam in sight.  Dam not needed, lots of man made water.
On the way in, just past the entrance, I saw a bird that I'd never seen at the Refuge before.  Or ever seen before for that matter.  OK, I need to get out more.
So part of the real fun of this was to try to find out what bird this is, or at least narrow it down.  There is a web site that list all the days bird sightings.  That's a good place to start, but it is a slow search as I'm not sure what many of the birds are.  Search plan B is to just do a internet search.  Michigan bird, long bill, yellow legs.  First picture, BINGO!  But that was the first part, still had to find the name.  And I didn't believe the name at all.  More checking.  And then to find out there are Lessers and Greaters.  Too funny.  In the end, the best I have is this is a Greater Yellowleg.  Today I have learned.  Or close to it.




Greater Yellowlegs
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00 /200-500mm f/5.6E
260 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 250 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX




Greater Yellowlegs
NIKON D780 Ver.01.00 /200-500mm f/5.6E
500 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 250 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

One thing I did learn today is I need a lot more practice with the monster lens.  These 'close ups' came out OK, but at a distance many shots did not come out as well as I strive to get.  
Hope to get more practice this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment