Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The show must go on

This is prime air show time.  I had such plans for 2020.  
Instead of sitting at home, we should be in the stands admiring and cheering our favorite teams.  Blue Angles, Thunderbirds, Snowbirds and Patriots are some of the Jet Demo teams that are somewhat sidelined temporarily grounded.  In my case, no pictures, no travels and no souvenirs.  I miss my friends and family.  Airshows are just plane fun.  (I did not misspell plane.)
As it is tough to keep people down, it may be tougher to keep aviators down.  Recently the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds started a program of saluting the first responders by doing flyovers of major cities and virus hotspots.  Awesome.  Do what you can do.  Salute.
Today, the Geico Skytypers took the skies over NYC to show their support.   Starting at 11:30 AM and flying for an hour, the route started just south of White Plains, flying southwest to Brooklyn, back over the Bronx, out to Hempstead and finishing over Long Island.
Last year while on my southern therapy tour through South Carolina, I did get to see the Geico Skytypers at the Beaufort MCAS air show.  It is unique.
The skytypers are a group of SNJ-21 aircraft, formation flying to 'type' messages in the sky.
The SJN-21 is a variant of the AT6 family.  Sitting side by side of my Reno AT6 racing class aircraft, very tough to tell the difference.  Photographically, I was coming off my first year of photographing the A6s at Reno and I had an idea of what to do to get the right shutter speed.  Right idea, no practice.  Which is probably why these didn't get an earlier post.  But today is not a day to dwell on small details.
Skytyping is formation flying, in a line wingtip to wingtip, where the smoke is released such that letters, or images, are created.
Like this flag image:



To be fair, by the time I saw this, it had been completed for a few minutes and the upper level winds had an effect on the sharpness.
Hopefully, there were messages of thanks and encouragement.  
These are a few of the shot I had taken last year from the air show.









Thanks to Geico and the air crews for the show today.  I'm sure it was great - and hope many were able to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment