Friday, May 8, 2020

You can learn a lot by listening

I can learn a lot by listening.    It's just the distance between my ears and brain where the weeds can be thick and tall.
Earlier this week I went the park to get out of the house.  And to see the park Eagles.  
I have a favorite watching spot that is north of the nest, right at a pond's edge.  That gives a lot of clearing to view the nest.  Now the branches around the nest I can't do much with.  
My second best watching spot is west of the nest.  More in the woods.  To get there I follow an animal path.  Into the woods.  Yea, I said it twice, there is a lot of woods in the area.  There is a spot against the pond where there is a small opening to view the nest, and some of the pond.  There is a lot of natural growth, small vegetation that you can see around.  But the stuff gets in the way of a subject around the nest, or on the water.
Usually, I'm nest watching from this point.  But that evening there was a solitary Canadian Goose on the pond.  The goose was in a nice spot, with the sun lighting up its head.  The goose was just sitting on the water.  Behind, some small, distracting water plants.  In one way, some of the plants were framing the shot.  And of course, the rest were in the way.  And the goose wouldn't move.  In my world, it's all coming together very nicely.
The goose had to move.  Eventually.  I think it is a law of nature.  And laws will eventually be followed.  And this one was followed, after about ten minutes.
So the goose started to move around, and making goose noises.  Drew my attention to the goose.




Canadian Goose Calling
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
750 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 1400 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Rookie mistake.  While I was focused on this subject, its mate was flying in.  Would have been a lot more interesting.  So lesson number one for the evening, in the books.  And we'll find out if the lesson was remembered.  If you know me, you know the answer already.
So, the dual goose adventure continued.  And the previous law of animal motion took flight.  Literally.  Not a good view for the camera, but the sight to the coordinated take was fun to watch.  A few minutes later, they returned.  Heard them thirty seconds away.  Still missed the shot.  Tried to get in too tight on the scene, couldn't find them in the view.  When I did, too late.  More lessons learned.  It's OK, all about the journey, right.  PPPFFFTTT>.
Still no action at the nest.
Time to move.  From the north spot, the sun was still lighting up the nest.  I was there for a while, and almost on schedule one of the Eagles showed up.  Sitting high above the nest.  In the sun.  Awesome sunlit white hood.




Eagle Calling
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
750 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 400 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I return now to the lesson of the day.  Again with my attention on the wheel making the most noise, the other slipped in to the nest.  DOH!
I will have to enroll myself in more remedial nature photography.  Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment