Tuesday, May 12, 2020

The #Strong Day

Tuesday was quite a day.  Two fly overs.  For someone who has missed a few air shows this year so far, just what the doctor ordered.
First, I have to thank the folks I work with to cover me while I was chasing my lost dreams for 2020 today.  I told them what I was doing, and everyone understood.  People you work with who understand your weak points, priceless.
Enough about them, my day.
I did put in a few hours at the paying job this morning.  Thankfully, no fires.
For #AmericaStrong the Blue Angels were flying a pattern in the Detroit area.  After looking at the maps of the flight path, it looked like the northern most point was just east of Troy - where I used to work.  it's just over an hour away.  Doable.  Road Trip.
It looked like the flight path was using the Beaumont Hospital as a waypoint.  C and I just had to get there.  And find a good place to park.  While practicing social distancing.  No problem.
We arrive in the area about an hour prior to the flyover.  By luck we found a park, just north of the hospital - the Donald Flynn park.  When we got there, not issues finding a parking space.  Seriously, twenty minutes after we arrived, it was packed.  Timing is everything.
People of all shapes and sizes were everywhere.  Most were family groups.  Lots of dogs out for exercise.  Wonderful to see.
I had a decision to make on what equipment to take.  I chose to take the D500 and the monster lens combo.  Not knowing where the flight path was, I wanted the extra reach out to 750 mm.  No good to me leaving it at home.  As it turned out, our location was good enough for 500 mm.
Time to dial in the camera.  Looking for my first formation flying candidates.




Inflight Communications
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
510 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I'm guessing there are lots of flight hours for these two in formation.  Communication is key.  Probably no stunt flying - and I wouldn't want to be close by when they release 'smoke'.
But we were there for the Blue Angels.
We had a general idea in what direction the flight was coming from.  A thrill to see them appear.
Of the baggage I brought to the scene is that all photos need to shoot as close up to the subject as possible to be interesting.  Not so.  There is an interest when the subject is seen a bit further away.  C shot this with her phone.



There is a lot to like about this.  The skies belonged to the Angels for that moment.  Awesome.
At this point, there was no noise, just visual.
When it comes time for me to lose my senses, like vision, fashion, balance and common, I look forward to the time when my caregivers can just wheel me to an air show and I can get that afterburner sound.  Aside, from the TF-39 whine, my next favorite sound.  (Google it.)  But for the day, I'll take the General Electric F404 turbo fan.  When the formation got a bit closer, I could begin to hear them.  Sound of Freedom.  




Blue Angel Bank
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
570 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I don't know what the distance is, but that's as far away as I've ever tried to get a subject.  Not as sharp as I'd like, but hey - this is a hobby for me.  You can tell it is the Angels and I can live with that.
As I was there, thinking, hey these might just fly over us?
Guess what?  Hint:  We had the PERFECT viewing location.




Blue Angels Overhead
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
465 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This is an optical illusion.  They are flying level.  I, however, am getting ready to fall backwards.  At an airshow, stuff happens in front of you.  In this flyover, the over is overhead.  And the engine noise is going strong at this point.  Totally awesome moment.
The only negative issue of this location for watching was about to rear its head.  The flight path took the aircraft directly between the sun and me.  Directly overhead.  I try not to do that to the camera, you know take a picture of the sun.  Unfiltered.  
And on their way out.




Blue Angels Exit
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
420 mm, 1/1250 sec, f/5.6, ISO 100 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

The flyover was about 40 seconds long.  Well worth the 90 minutes to get there.
And the day wasn't over.
#MichiganStrong
With a little luck we could catch a KC-135 on a Flint Flyover.
The KC-135 is special to me.  The aircraft has been in service longer than me.  By a little bit.  But the aircraft is special to me because it was the first aircraft I worked on in the 80s was I was stationed on the island of Okinawa.  I worked on engines back in the day, the Pratt and Whitney J57 engines, with water injection.  Loud and smokey.  See them miles away.  And durable.  We'd get an engine in for overhaul and some of the T-wheel would be missing.  Yet is would keep flying.  Cold warrior.
Over the years, they've been refitted with more efficient and quieter engines.  Still, one of my planes.
C has never seen one before and today would be a good day to chase one.  
Luck was with us again, we found a great spot where the aircraft passed directly overhead.
I thought we'd be closer and the aircraft is larger and slower so I put the D780 at the other end of the monster lens.  It worked.




KC-135 Duo
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
500 mm, 1/2500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 110 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

Not too exciting, and not the right noise.  But I would have not given this day up for anything.




KC-135 Overhead
NIKON D780 Ver.01.01/200.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
380 mm, 1/2500 sec, f/5.6, ISO 360 (AUTO)
MANUAL Mode, Size FX

I like this shot as you can see all the navigation aids used at night for re-fueling.  Memories.
End of a great day.  I miss the airshows.
Earlier this year I was going to join two of the younger nephews at MCAS Cherry Point for their show.  I was really looking forward to seeing their faces with either delight - or horror at the right time.  And I recently found out that the youngest nephew is a Blue Angels fan, seeing them at the Chicago airshow with my father.  I have some work to do with the kids, and I couldn't be happier.
Thanks to the Blue Angels and the 127th ANG wing at Selfridge ANGB.
#AmericaStrong #MichiganStrong

No comments:

Post a Comment