Sunday, May 17, 2020

Sunny Day at the Refuge

If there's one place where it is easy to social distance, it's at the Refuge.  It was a nice morning.  Road Trip.
I did three circuits of the nature drive.  The first lap was very cloudy.  The other two laps were perfect sunshine.
I was happy to see Eagles on all three laps.  On the first lap, there was a gaggle (4 to 6) of juveniles grouped together.  What fun.  Looks like they were playing.  That's another post.
On the second lap, I saw the juveniles playing again in the same area, but I have this one skimming the water.  Nice blue reflection.




Juvenile Eagle over Blue Water
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/00.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
450 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 180 (Auto)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

I am learning with the monster lens and a subject in motion, I almost have to rethink everything.  Note to self, speed needs to be a lot more than the inverse of focal length.  I was shooting today at 1/1,000 sec which is on the slow side for me.  I need to bump it the other way, ISO be damned.  But this shot was savable.   The other issue I have, and I just need more practice is I leave a lot of lens in the lens.  This was at 300 on the lens, I have a lot more to go.  One of the knocks on the 200-500 is the activation of the extra mm's takes a lot.  I've missed a few quick action shots.  For a static subject and I have time to think about it and move the lens, its all OK.  Practice, practice, practice.
Segue to what I saw on the way out of the park.  The last mile of the drive usually doesn't have much action going on.  At this point, I generally thinking of either taking another lap or departing the area.  There I was, lost in my own little universe when I saw this.




Eagle on the Dead Tree
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/00.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
750 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 560 (Auto)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

Great sunlight.  Somewhat close to the road.  No trees in the way.  Make your own luck.  Fortunately there was no one behind me, so I could take my time.  Again, with the bird not in flight I could get a good image.  I was able to stick around until it decided to take flight.  I could have done better.  There are lots of reasons.  First, I wasn't really ready when it took off.  Raising the camera at 750 mm, it ain't easy to find the target quickly.  And coordinate the focus.  just another reason to return, but this was really a great opportunity.  Missed.
But not a total loss.  I didn't try to get much closer and disturb the bird.
But it did take off and I did get a few good shots.




Eagle Take Off
NIKON D500 Ver.1.20/00.0-500.0 mm f/5.6
750 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/5.6, ISO 500 (Auto)
MANUAL Mode, Size DX

In a perfect world, I'd have set up a tripod with a gimbal head.  I was lucky, not perfect today.
All in all great day.  With the weather starting to warm up a bit more, maybe we'll see more activity with other birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment