Saturday, September 29, 2018

B&O Across the River

I am fortunate to still be able to more around somewhat 'nimbly' when taking photos of the model trains at the DMRRC.  That is to say, I can walk hunched over, carrying camera, tripod and tablet for a very short distance.  That ain't easy trying to navigate through a four foot high 'walk' way.  But as it is, the effort is worth it.  I can take photos from angles that generally aren't available to the public.
This is one of them.
In past years, I have used a bean bag at ground level to steady the camera in order to get closer to 'eye' level of the trains.  This year I wanted to get some height off the tracks.  That would help with minimum focus issues and give me a slightly different view.  With the tripod I used which is fairly flat, the battery pack and the camera, I was about 5 inches off the track.  That was OK, but not what I really was looking for.  Next year I'll lose the battery pack and get an inch closer.  That might get the look I'm after for some of these shots.
In this shot, all that doesn't matter.  Ha.  This is shooting if not level, only slightly downward.  While the top of the train is in view, it isn't the focus of the scene.  Although the train appears to be slightly banking inward, I'm OK with it.
There is a lot of 'clean-up' from the original that is required.  I'm finding on many of the pictures from the DMRRC, the ceiling lights are casting 'ghosts' that I don't like on some surfaces.  You may not notice it until it is pointed out - but now the lights are pointed out.  There are also some loose electrical wires under the bridge that clearly needed to be removed.
This is the original with the touch up area noted:



I used clone and content aware fill tools to remove the wires and at least dull the ceiling light reflections.  Both issues will show up when the image is cropped and some color/sharpening are added in.
The final image:


ISO 100, f/6.3, 1.6 sec, 50 mm
Focus Stack - 9 Images

I like the B&O colors of these trains, so I'm a bit partial when I say this is one of the better shots of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment