Sunday, September 2, 2018

Lower Tahquamenon Falls

Holiday Weekend.  I can't drift too far from home because of the paying job, so I decided to go through/reorganize a lot of the photos I've taken in the past.  I'm trying to thin out shots I'll never use, which aren't many.  I don't say that I take that many good shots, but over the years I know what I can work with and what's not worth the effort.  These shots are difficult mostly due to flat skies or a focus I just can't work with.  I also know that what I may not work with today, I can do something with at another time.  So I am very careful on what goes away.
Because I'm careful on what gets tossed, I came across this little gem.


ISO 400, f/9, 1/320 sec, 18 mm

This was taken in August of 2009.  Thank the stars for RAW files.  In 2009, the camera was a Nikon D80.  The lens was 18-135 mm, no VR.  And the photographer was probably lucky to know which way to point the glass part of the lens.
I do remember for the most part in the early days, I was waffling on whether to use RAW or JPG.  I didn't know the difference.    
I'm guessing I was using Elements back then - with no idea on what I was doing with that either.
So let's come forward 9 years.  The RAW file is just as good as it was then.  Thankfully the basic file processing hasn't changed in that time.
I used Photomatix (Vivid) to bring out the mid-greens.  It also brought out some definition in the sky, as well as sharpened.  I used ACR to bring out the greens even more and the copper/browns.
I stopped using Photomatix for a while, but lately have returned to it to set my light levels.  Photoshop does a lot of things very well, but can be cumbersome.  Photomatix has been around for a number of years and the results are so much better for me.  I am really against halos between the sky and the trees.  And here there is little/no halo.  Also in my old age, for some of my filters I only go a percentage of the effect in opacity.  Sometimes less is more?



No comments:

Post a Comment