Saturday, September 15, 2018

Reno Air Races -Day Two (5 on 1)

Day two.  Fired off just under 1200 shots.  If I get 20 keepers, I'll really be happy.
I had issues with speed priority.  I was using it when I should not have.  And I think I missed a one time opportunity because of this.  Live and learn. Other than that, most shots came out really well.
But what I didn't miss was this.  I have some really good shots from the races, however I think my best shots for the day were taken during the Patriots Jet team show.
The Patriot jet show is akin to the Navy Blue Angles and Air Force Thunderbird shows.
For the shots of where there were to be crossing maneuvers, I'd follow one of the aircraft and just start shooting from where I thought they'd be close until I thought the jets had passed. Logically this should work.  Timing is everything, with a little luck set in.  I have the camera set up to shoot at 5 frames per second.  I tried to minimize the focus actuations, hopefully saving time so I could hit that 5 FPS rate.  I have a few good shot with this practice, I'm sure more images will find their way here. 
This is a time when five jets raced toward one jet.  And I think I nailed it.
The day had been sunny up to this point and we started to lose light as this show started.  I chose to hit this with some Photomatixto add some harshness.  For this and the of my other shots a plain photo won't do.  (There are more cameras here than I can count.)
Here are 5 jets going against one.


ISO 400, f/8, 1/3200 sec, 225 mm
Aperture Priority
D7200/70-300

Other than a little color magic, this image is not retouched in any way.  The aircraft are where they are.  I have the original file.  
This was an incredibly awesome show.

No comments:

Post a Comment