Friday, September 7, 2018

Reno - A few days out

So let's get a weather update.



Looks like I won't be using this as an excuse for missed shots.

I've been going through Youtube for a number of topics, ranging from past air races to anyone with an opinion on what set ups are best for aircraft photography.

So here are some of the ideas I'll probably soon forget.

Auto-Focus:  One thing I've been thinking about a lot is how to set up the AF?  Is AF even necessary - set to infinity and go.  That's one option.  And I'm talking in-flight here, not static displays.  Turns out the D7200 has a tracking option called 3D.  (Hint: Helps to know your equipment.)  So the short of this is you lock on to your target in the center of the screen and as the target moves within the screen, you are locked on.  The focus follows the target.  I tested this with stretching my arm out and locking on to my finger.  As I'd move my arm around, as long as my finger stayed in the view finder, the AF was locked on.  I need to try this out.
Mode:  I usually shoot manual, but I do miss a few shots when rushed.  Although it appears the shooting conditions will be stable, I'd hate to lose a shot because I was chimping.  The other mode I'm comfortable with is Aperture priority.  When you think about, for in flight shots that isn't a good idea either.  Really need to get comfortable with Speed priority.  For prop driven aircraft seems a good point to start with is 1/180 second.  We'll see how that works.  I figure to be shooting with a focal length of 300 to 450.  Again we'll see how that works.
Equipment:  I'm taking two camera bodies, the D7200 and D90.  My original thought was to carry both, the D7200 / 70-300 and the D90 / 18-200.  I'm not a fan of changing lens in the outdoors.  I'm not sure how far away our parking will be (storage of equipment), but I'll have to make it work.  On thought was to use the 18-200 on the first day to get all the walk around stuff and the 70-300 for the rest.  That thought is gone.  On Thursday there will be a B52 flyover which is one of the few events that is not repeated every day.  Can't miss that.
So Saturday, I'll head out to the Refuge and try the 3D AF and Speed priority.  With any luck, I'll get a good bird shot or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment