Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Big Jump Landing

In my somewhat humble, but ignorant, opinion about horse jumps, this jump was one of more difficult jumps on the course.  The jump is about three feet high, to the untrained eye, and has a slope down landing.  Could have been the best shots of the day, but rookie camera dude mistakes made the image what it is.
I heard from one of the riders that they were going to take this jump.  Problem for me was I had the wrong camera/lens on me at the time.  The lens was too long.  I had to position myself too far away from the jump and not be in the landing area.  And I ended up behind some low hanging branches.  Not only did this image require a lot of tree branch removal editing, but for the second rider one of the branches caught the AF - and....  It didn't end well.  But the branch looked good.
Lucky for me, I'm used to missing the money shot.  I'll recover.



By this time in the day, I had opened my aperture to f/5.   That created a pretty high speed.  I was far enough away the DOF didn't kill the image.



Yea, that branch.  Other than that, I really like this.  If this was me on a quad, I'd be over the handle bars.  The rider and horse are good.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you're really branching out...
    Nice shot, where was the equestrian meet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A farm in Metamora. One of the Club members is very much into the horse events scene and asked the club if anyone was interested. I bit. It was a great time. I'm learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete