Sunday, April 21, 2019

Horse Week was fun, now I'm in Air Show mode.

Horse week was Fun!  I learned a lot.  I think a lot of my shots came out better than I expected, due to the subject.  I stressed the cameras a bit, getting out of my normal comfort zone with speed and ISO settings.  Looking forward to going out again later this year.  However, it's now time to put away this subject for a while.



So now I'm in Air Show mode.
Next weekend I'll be in Beaufort, SC for the MCAS Beaufort Air Show.  
I don't recall flying into MCAS Beaufort back in the day, but I'm sure we had plenty of flights out in the time of Desert Storm.   With one runway over 12,000 ft we could have really loaded up.  I do remember I had more flights out of Pope AFB, just up the road, that runway was relatively short at 7,500 ft and was always a challenge.  Sorry, old man memory kicking in.  Back to the present.
The big draw here will be the Blue Angles.  There will be other military demos such as a F-22 Raptor and a F-35B (STOVL) Lightning II.  When I was stationed at Okinawa in the early '80s, I saw the Harrier in action.  ***Crap, another old man memory rabbit hole.  I need to come up with a warning when those kick in.***  I thought that the Harrier was kinda neat?  This Lightning II should be awesome!
One of the other performers is named the Class of 45.  These are two WWII fighter aircraft, F4U-4 Corsair and P51-D Mustang.  I saw a few Mustangs in Reno, and don't get me wrong, I'm in awe just thinking of wave after wave of these planes doing their thing in their time.  However, I have never seen a Corsair in flight.  Or on the ground with props turning and engine doing it's thing.  I'm thinking the sound will be nothing short of amazing.  Pity the fool that gets in my way of a money shot.
I'm sure the other performers will be fun to watch as well, but my head is in the military stuff.  The show will be fun.
Weather information, five days out:



I see upper 70's in my future!
I will be going with a good friend from the Pelican days.  (Maybe I'll get a Pelican shot?)  He is a veteran of this show, I'm sure we'll be in great position.
I'm just trying to keep in mind my rules, below 1/180 for the props.  Over 1/2000 for the Blue Angles, except Fat Albert.  The rest will take care of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment