Thursday, April 18, 2019

Jump Up Close

And now for something a little different.  All of the horse eventing images so far have lots of added scenery in the image.  I wanted to try to get a bit closer to the horse, while still having the understanding there was a jump involved.
I came across this one and what caught me was the mane flying free.  Once I saw this, I went back through the other images only to find many of the horses had shorter manes than I have hair.  And those with longer manes were not jumping.  Is there a correlation?  Maybe?
The only problem in this image was this wasn't a close up to begin with and would require a pretty good crop.  But you have to try.
I did some enlargement work through On One prior to the crop.  It's not a foolproof process, but I think it helps a little.  
This was shot at f/5.6, later in the day.  There was some shadow fixin' that was required.
The horse is pretty much all white.  I hate to say unfortunately, because it is a beautiful creature.  So it is not unfortunate, but all that means is you have to look harder for definition.  It is there.  But the flying features are there.  Ears froward.  Mane in zero gravity.  Both the rider and the horse looking for terra firma.





I think it framed out well.  Looks good on the monitors.  But note to self that I'll soon forget, don't be afraid to get in tight.

The paint version turned out really well.  The white of the horse works here.


No comments:

Post a Comment