Sunday, April 14, 2019

RAW Processing in Elements

In Saturday's trip to a farm for the Horse Eventing, I had a few conversations about shooting a RAW image as opposed to JPG.  One of the points of the discussion was centered around time and knowledge to process the image file.
I'm going to go through a very basic process to process a RAW file into an image in Elements.  This is Elements 14 and ACR 9.5.   Sorry, but that is the last version I have.  The current version should be similar.
By default, when a RAW file is opened in Elements, the Adobe Camera RAW plugin should open.
This image was shot with a -1 EV compensation because there will be areas of blown pixels.  If there was no compensation, the dark horse saddle pad would be blown white  where I know it was green.  The histogram is left which indicates the image is dark overall and we'd like to correct it.
What follows is Kurt's quick edit.
First select AUTO.  That selection will get is to what Adobe thinks are 'balanced' light levels.



When that is done, there are two real changes made.  The histogram shows that light levels are moving to a more even level.  And the saddle pad is beginning  to show blown (Red) levels.  The pad is now white instead of a shade of light green.
Leave it alone for now, there are other edits that are still to come.



Next step is to set Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation.  RAW file are somewhat bland by nature.  I have my starting points.



I set my Clairity and Vibrance values to 20 and Saturation to 10.  When that happens, the saddle pad increases the blown area.  
At this point my basic edits are done.  Other edits if necessary can be done depending on what I what to do with the image.  
But for this image, I would want to work on the saddle pad.  And in this case the edit is simple, use the Whites slider.



I moved the Whites slider from 10 to 17 and the saddle pad color has returned.
From here, click on the Open Copy button and that will open the file in Elements.  From there, accomplish your edits or save the image as .
For the most part after a few times through, this doesn't take that long.  I usually don't like to spend more than a minute or two on basic edits.  And it think it is worth it over that a camera will do.
This is the camera JPG.

I think my process is overall a better image.  The saddle pad is still problematic, but with a little extra effort I cold get more green out of it.  And since it is a RAW file, the information is there, just need to unlock it.
That's the quick process.

No comments:

Post a Comment