Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Eagle Shift Change at the Nest

This is another image in the sequence from Monday's Eagle paparazzi adventure.  At this point, the arriving Eagle is solidly overlooking the nest, and the departing Eagle is moments away from flight.  I am one lucky person to have seen this.  Certainly one of the top five nature events that I've witnessed in my life.  (I need to get out more.)  More story detail is in the Eagle Approach to Nest post.
Aside from the final image, this post will have to do more with the processing.  From what I've read, the minimum lens on needs for 'birding' is 600 mm.  Best I can do is 450 mm in DX or 600 mm in 1.3x.  
What will 450 mm get you from where I was standing?



That's all folks.  Maybe I just hang out with the wrong people.  I want to crawl in the nest, or at least arm's reach away.
Couple of things about this image.  This is Nikon's JPG of the shot.  To be fair, I have no image enhancements for the JPGs.  I usually don't play much with the camera JPGs, only using them for playback.  To get the best natural light levels in playback, the image should be Standard.  But you get the idea.  And this is why I shoot RAW.  Some will argue that RAW takes too much time.  I would argue with practice images don't take too much time and in some special cases, like this, the time is insignificant.
For me this is a great subject, two Eagles and a nest.  And I didn't mess up the focus.  Shutter speed, ISO and aperture settings were good.  I need to see the yellow in the Eagle's eyes.
How to get there.
First, the settings:



To get to the yellow in the eyes, I'd need a very aggressive crop.  The crop would not look good on one of the monitors, which is the final test.  The image would be somewhat pixelated.
Last night, worked on enlarging the total file through PhotoShop.  I wasn't real pleased with the end results.  There was some Youtubing involved.  The theory is to enlarge the image and then do the crop.  In theory I should be able to really zoom in on the area that I'm targeting.  PS didn't let me down, it does a lot of things very well, but other applications do some things much better.
And that's what happened here.  I used On One's resize to enlarge the image to 400%.  And then I did my crop.  This one shows up on the monitor real well.  And yellow eyes.



That took care of the sizing issues.  I used ACR's Auto Levels for the most part for lighting.  I did some spot touch ups for exposure on the white hood and tail of both Eagles.
I joke with many of my photo club members that I don't want to spend more than three minutes one any RAW image.  I may have to re-think that philosophy.  I have a little more time than that invested here.  And I have to re-look at the Eagle Approach image.  Bet I can drill in a bit more.

No comments:

Post a Comment