Saturday, April 13, 2019

Horse Eventing

Today was a pretty good day for me.  On top of it all, I get to add a new blog Label.  Horse Eventing.  So the horse eventing I went to today was not an actual event, but the practice for the event later this summer.  (Way too many Events.)  So there were groups of riders on the course who were either practicing for themselves or for the horse.  It seems to me that there were riders of all ages and all types of horses.  Everyone moved in groups, and those with the younger set had coaches.  And some seemed to have their own posse.
But the day was great weather-wise.  Lots of great sunshine.
So photography related, where to begin?  I showed up on time, that was a good start.  Turns out, our little photographer group, could go most anywhere on the course.  Just stay away from the horses.
What I knew about horses before today was pretty much limited to John Wayne Westerns.  And not that I know more now, but today I have the real visual.  And the meadow muffins in the tread of my shoes are proof I was out on the farm.  (C is delighted about that.)
I was out today with two members of my photo club who knew much more about horses and the events that was the subject of the shoot.  Good time.
But where to start?  1/60?  1/200? 1/1000?  1/2000 jets?  I took around 500 shots and most were at 1/800.  I had only one shot where the focus was real off.  I had a sequence where a tree branch photo bombed the AF, and that was too bad, it was a very good sequence.  Other than that, all were in very good to great focus.  (This is was a good confidence builder for the upcoming Air Show season.)
The folks out there were real nice, many asking if the photos would be available.  And of course they will be.  I handed out many of my cards.
I shot RAW and JPG, and many of the JPGs are OK to post.  However, some shots in both formats needs some help because of shade from the helmet bills.
The first photo I wanted to work on and post had to have some of the problematic shade, and something unique.  And here it is.



This is the camera generated JPG.  Usual disclaimer, my JPGs are set to be bland.  But the image is also a bit on the dark side.  I'd set the exposure compensation to -1 because the sun reflection in this area was not playing nice on some of the rider's equipment and some of the jumps.



This image needs some advanced help with lighting to get the proper levels back.  But it is worth the time.  



That works for me.  And the unique part of this image?  The flying pony tail.
Like all photo shoots, I'm looking for 5 to 10 keeper shots by the end of the day.  And since this was the first time out, I was really hoping to make the lower end.  But I did get some very good 'action' shots - and some good stand around-ers. 
What would this look like painted?



That's pretty awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Kurt, these photos are gorgeous! You captured the beauty of the essence of the horse!

    ReplyDelete