Sunday, April 14, 2019

Horse over the Water Jump

Part of the Horse Event cross country course involves the horse and rider transiting through a shallow water obstacle about 30 yards in length.  The depth is only a few inches and there is a solid bottom.  It looks to be about then yards wide.  There are shallow and steep entrances/exits.  And there is a fairly high jump in the middle should one want to take it.
I hung around the water obstacle for a number of photographs.  Just about every participant for the day went through it a few times.  Get the horses ready for the cross country season.  For the most part, this exercise was uneventful.  Except.  One rider wanted to take her horse in the water from the steeper step.  And the horse wanted no part of that.  Instead the horse stretched its neck down below its feet to drink the water.  Almost pulled the rider right over.  Would have been funny, but not flattering.  No pictures.
I have a number of images of horses moving through the water at a quick pace.  I like how the water is disturbed and somewhat flying around.  Splashing.
While I was there, there were two riders who took the jump.  This is one of them.
There is water flying everywhere.  The only eye trick that gets to me is something I can't fix.  The horse has shin guards that are black with a blue accent.  Just looks odd (to me) in the image where it is.  The sun is right, there are greens and blues.  Did I say I liked the way the water was splashed?



I started the day shooting at a higher aperture, f/6.4.  later in the day I opened up to f/5 to see if bokeh was going to be an issue at a later date.  The evergreen trees just at the end of the water are OK.  To me, this is acceptable DOF.  The more open I can be, the better.  The speed a a bit high, but I wasn't going for any motion effect.  ISO 450 is right in the acceptable range.



This was a pretty simple edit.  The environment was good.  Lots of good light to work with.  Or not work with 'cause it was there.  No light compensations.  One of the few times it hit it just right.

No comments:

Post a Comment