Sunday, August 25, 2019

Eagle on the Dike (And the rest of the story)

This year's opening of the auto drive around the perimeter of the Refuge was delayed by a few weeks due to a 'project' that was in weather delay.  From what I can tell, there is an effort to increase the wetlands all around.  This means adding more dikes to keep the water in.  And to be sure, there is more water in the area this year.
One of the new dikes parallels the auto drive.  I saw this Eagle landing from a distance and 'crawled' the truck into position.  This image was taken from the truck.  When I got out, very slowly, the Eagle took off.  Not shown close by is a dead fish, I assumed it was for the Eagle's lunch.  I hung around for a while, but the bird did not return.  On my second lap, probably 90 minutes later, there were three juveniles at the dead fish.  My uneducated guess is that there was some dinner training going on.  Ain't nature grand?




Eagle Standing on the Dike
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
600 mm, 1/500 sec, f/8, ISO 280 (AUTO)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size 1.3

This is cropped fairly aggressively.  To me, the story behind it makes up for whatever it lacks technically.  Looks good on the small screens.

No comments:

Post a Comment