Saturday, August 24, 2019

Genesee County Fair

The Genesee County Fair is ending this weekend.  I've been living here over twenty years, maybe I should go?
The big deal on Friday night was a demolition derby.  How much fun could that be?  Certainly enough to get me to go.
The short story is I never made it to the derby.  The reasons are many and not worth re-living.  But I was going to make lemonade.
I did walk around the 'farm' stuff.  That is so interesting, and the pre-adult involvement is just awesome.
But where I did spend my time, unless you know my past, could be seen as quite odd.  I was watching the 'pro' wrestling.  Fantastic.
I have a long history with pro wresting.  I've been to many events.  Big and not so big.  As a kid, I thought Superstar Billy Graham was the largest thing I'd ever seen.  When I was stationed in Lubbock, TX, in the 80's one of the off shoots of the TV shows would show up on the third Thursday of the month.  I was there all the time.  I shot pool with/against some of the Von Erich boys.  Not that I was special, they invited everyone.  Ha.  We had a small group that went all the time and all I'll say is I was not the designated driver.  Never.  Once, I hit one of the wrestlers with a flash from a SunPak.  His story line was he didn't like flashs.  He chased me through the stands (about 10 steps).  We were howling.
But in the end, I learned all I needed to know about wresting from those adventures.  I watched Ric Flair and the Great Kabuki go at it for an hour.  Solid.  No long counts.  No long holds.  No resting.  Say what you want about the entertainment, but the people are real.
So here I am at the county fair.  These guys have a long way to go, but their hearts are in it.  And it was fun to watch them work the crowd.
And work the crowd they did.  This man is Father Time.  I think I heard his persona states he is blind?  That's new.  But he gets the crowd worked up.  And there were many chants for TIC TOC.  His mic skills were better than I thought they'd be.  If I go back before they close out on Sunday, it will be primarily to see this guy in action.
As a general rule, I don't photograph people as the main subject.  I will make an exception in this case.  He's in a public place working the crowd.  He's on a hundred cell phones now.  (Not as good as mine, but it's not for lack of trying.)
Here is Father Time working the crowd.




Father Time
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/8.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
135 mm, 1/400 sec, f/5.6, ISO 360 (Auto)
EV 0, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

This was very close to when the sun was going to get behind the building and start setting a shadow.  Pretty effective here.
But in the last match I saw, it was dark.  And here's where the photo learning comes in.  To set the EV (Exposure Compensation) I know how to handle this when the image is too light.  It's simple to think, well if the image is too dark - just go the other way.  It's why I have issues in school and tests, until I do this, my head is a void.  Ha.
So this image, a flying leap, is the culmination of a lot of learning is shooting a dark scene in a very short time.




The Leap
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6
44 mm, 1/200 sec, f/5.6, ISO 900 (Auto)
EV +1, MANUAL Mode, Size DX

So the wresting note:  That flyn' stuff ain't fake.
The photographic note:  I learned a new trick that I should have known a long time ago.  And now I'll be able to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment