Saturday, August 17, 2019

Shiawassee National Wildlife Refuge Osprey

Just over a year ago, I 'discovered' the Nature Refuge.  Well, at least discovered the auto route.  Couldn't be happier.  What I have found out is that hiking through the area seems to alert the residents.  In the car, no issues.  Just don't get out.
The other thing I have to get better at is looking in the trees or anyplace off the ground.  More on that in another post.  
And one more - just because you haven't seen activity on one area, doesn't mean the next time the same can be said.
And that segue goes to this.  I was in an area where I had seen little activity in the past.  Off in the distance, I see what I thought was a hawk.  Again, my avian recognition leaves a lot to be desired.  The flight path was coming my way, so i stopped the vehicle and waited.
When it got closer, and close enough through the lens, I could see it wasn't a hawk, but the Osprey.  And it was looking for food.  There was a moment where I thought it was going to go in for the dive and food but it was not to be.  But I did get to watch this creature for a long time (minute or two anyway).  It's a good day.




Osprey Ready to Dive
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
600 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 180 (Auto)
EV 0, Manual Mode, Size 1.3




Osprey Soaring
NIKON D500 Ver.1.15/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
600 mm, 1/1000 sec, f/6.3, ISO 160 (Auto)
EV 0, Manual Mode, Size 1.3

So, a year ago I was thinking all I had around me was sea gulls.  Not so much any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment