Saturday, November 24, 2018

Black Friday (Extended) and other Thoughts

I had big plans for the weekend.  Rainy and low 40's.  Most, it was to get the Christmas cards printed.  I was also going to upgrade my copy of On One with the Black Friday sales event.
My luck with upgrading On One is never pain free.  Not sure what the issue is, but there are always license issues and multiple restarts and plugin stumbles.  This year, I remembered to log out of the program before the upgrade and I'm sure that helps.  This year the install was pain free, but to get it going was not.  usually when I install a new program, I re-start the system.  After the install the system would not end.  After ten minutes, I manually shut down the system.  then the re-start took at least ten minutes if not longer - but then appeared.  Then I manually tried to start the program.  It hung.  After ten minutes, manual end.  Shutdown.  (This time shutdown was normal.)  Start up.  (This time start up was normal.)  And then start the program, and this time it started normally.  Not my first time.  The laptop process was not as painful, except the laptop is just plan slow so all things considered, both took about the same time up update.
As to printing the Christmas cards, well that didn't go quiet as planned.  I don't use the Epson R1900 much all year.  It might get used semi-annually.  The Christmas card print usually is a process of cleaning the print head, which eats up a lot of ink and some paper.  Price of dormancy.  This year was different.  A few weeks ago, I fired it up and printed a few images of the air races, nature photos and some Pittsburgh photos.  No image cleaning needed.  Prints were awesome.
To start this morning, printed two test card and then.........  Nothing.  It makes noise, but that about all.  It won't pull the card stock.  It will pull plain paper, but not print.  There is an error message that says the paper is mis-aligned.  So, back when I played with printing on canvas, I found out that there are sensors where if the paper is not aligned - perfectly - the process stops.  I hit it with some compressed air to try to clean it up, but no luck.
So the new printer arrives next Friday.  Staying with Epson.  What did we ever do before the net?  Read a few pages with reviews, watched a few user reviews.
The R1900 was a good printer.  I picked it up in December 2010.  That a lot of Christmas cards, photos for the Art Gallery, some abnormal canvas prints and normal canvas prints.  Absolutely no complaints.  And that is a big reason I stayed with Epson.
That's a lot of new photographic equipment this year.  What's left for next year?

No comments:

Post a Comment