Thursday, November 29, 2018

B25 In the Turn

This is the B25 flying around the Reno area as part of the Air Races.  I had posted an earlier photo going across the start/finish line.  It is a beautiful plane, wonderfully restored.  And sounds great!
I have what I think is a good photo of the aircraft in a turn, with the Peterson mountain range in the background.  The airplane  was way out there.  I shot it with the 1.3x image size.  And it still turned out OK.


ISO 400, f/8, 1/1600 sec, 600 mm
NIKON D7200 Ver.1.04/70.0-300.0 mm f/4.5-5.6

This speaks to me.  I can see this in WWII  flying over a Pacific Island.
The photo does have a problem.  At 1/1600 sec shutter speed, the props are  frozen.  I've seen enough posts where images are shown and that is the first observation.  In my case, I don't worry about it too much.  My first time doing this.  And the other 99% is pretty good.  Has to count for something, right?  But I would like to make it somewhat presentable.  This aircraft may not be there next year.  So, how to blur the prop?
Clearly I'd like to have a 360 degree light blur with the tips painted and the sun shining off the upper quadrant, but that's not going to happen today.  Today, I'll work on just not having a frozen prop that you can read the writing on.
In searching for options, there are many available.  Many seemed to take a long time and lost me.  I need a certain amount of ease, and logic.
Here's what I came up with.  I am going to use PS's Spin Blur filter in the Blur Gallery.  it took about 5 mints to see how to use it, but once I got that going it was off to the races.
To do this, I would create a layer where I'd spin blur the two engines.  On top of that layer, I place a background layer - and then mask out the pros as necessary.  
Here's the layer stack.


A bit tough to tell, but on the Background Copy, the dark marks are the area where the prop blur will show up.
This is how I lined up the spin blur on the props.



Just a small hint, make the blur layer a smart layer to you can return and adjust as necessary.  That's a few minutes of my life I won't get back.  I lined up the center of the blur in the prop hub and then stretched the blur area to the tips of the props.  As shown, this is not acceptable because now I've introduced blur where there shouldn't be any blur.  However, with the mask applied, I can target the blur to the props only.


Not 'in my dreams' perfect, but there is a hint of motion.  From here, I can workflow the image.


The original goal was prop blur.  I don't know how much is necessary.  What I do see is a frozen prop will trash the image.  For power setting, in flight, seem under 1/1000 will do.  For idle or taxing, it need to be under 1/80.  That what I'll start with next year.  (Unless I forget all this which is possible.)  I've got more prop driven shot that I can play with - and a winter coming up.


No comments:

Post a Comment