Friday, November 23, 2018

Missing Man Formation 2017

Most military air shows as part of an aerial demonstration will at some point perform a maneuver called the Missing Man formation.  The Missing Man formation is a salute to fallen airman or other deceased.    The Patriot Jet Team, although a civilian team piloted by ex-military fliers, performed their version of the maneuver to honor fallen airmen of current and past engagements.
The maneuver is recognized by a number of aircraft, usually four, flying straight and level,  At some point one aircraft will leave the formation, climbing toward the heavens.  This aircraft represents the fallen.  In the case of the Patriot Jet Team, there are six aircraft in the air flying the formation.
One of the issues I've noticed with shooting the Jet Team is the color of the aircraft can be challenging in sunlight against a blue sky,  For most most of the four days I was at the Races, the sky was deep blue and cloudless, especially in the morning.  On the other hand, with cloud reflection on the aircraft paint it seems to me it really contrasts, not in a good way, against the sky.  The result is that the aircraft look, well, Photoshoped.
In this shot, I tried to 'warm' the image.  I may have overshot it a bit, but I think I;m on the right track.  Some of the shots are just too true blue.  


ISO 400, f/8, 1/3200 sec, 227 mm

I have another shot like this from another day at the races.  There is nothing but blue sky and blue aircraft.  No clouds or mountains for reference.  I went with this one because of the clouds and mountain.  I'll get used to the way the jet paint looks with the cloud reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment