Friday, November 30, 2018

Where do I fit?

I'm playing with Adobe's Portfolio app.  It comes with the Creative Cloud subscription I have, so nothing to lose but time.  In watching a few YouTube Videos, it became clear I need a logo.  OK.  Engage right brain.
So, where do I fit in the labeling of photographers?  What would be my brand?
Novice, Beginner, Rookie, Newbie:  Nope.  Whether or not you like my photographic expression, what I know about photography rises above this level.  Club members, friends and family ask me for advice on photographic topics.  I've been involved with this at different interest levels for over 10 years.  I've been a member of an artist's co-op, displaying/selling some of my work.  In short, I know which piece of glass points away from my eye and toward the subject.
Professional:  Nope.  But that comes from an asterisk as I have received monies for some work.  Not close to making money on this at all, ask the family accountant.  
That leaves the middle categories: Hobbyist, Enthusiast, Prosumer.  Really?  Aren't all the same?  Kinda.  Maybe?  It is a hobby, see the professional definition anti-rant.  Not making any money, but spending a lot.  Check,  I enjoy it.  I can talk about this with almost anyone, enthusiastically.  Check.  But prosumer?  And it is a legitimate term, Google it.  Professional Consumer.  I am a consumer that uses equipment with professional level quality and features for non-professional level activity.  Enthusiastically.  For a hobby.
So I'm in the middle there somewhere.  And at this time, that's where I want to be.  I have fun.  There is no pressure or deadlines.  It's all good.  And fortunately, I can display all the good shots on a PC.  Takes the print game right out of it.  I enjoy it.
If there is pressure, it is to not post/say something really bad or stupid.  When I look back at some of the early pictures in this blog, I sometimes cry (with laughter).  I'll never remove any of them because they are part of the journey.  But in the end, that really isn't pressure.
On a somewhat related topic, cruising through some related material I found an article that asks what are the (four) questions photographic amateurs fear the most.  In no specific order:
1. Why don't you start making money from photography?  Thankfully that has never been asked of me in the sense of I need to pay for all the toys with the hobby.  But in a way it has been asked of me in a good sense, like my stuff could sell.  And I did for a while at the artist's co-op.  That was fun, but I wasn't ready for the continual need to produce merchandise to sell.  I have enough issues with the paying job.  But if things change, I'd consider returning to the co-op or exploring another venue.
2. Why don't you photograph weddings?  When talking with people I don't know, I state that up front.  The remark is usually with humor but in a way to mark my territory.  And if I have talked with you before, you already know this.  As a rule, I don't do people.  I've done two portraits in ten years.  Both turned out well, and are on limited display.  Both were for close family.  I say they turned out well, but when compared to a 'professional' there is a difference.  My feelings are not hurt.
3. What do you get from it?  If not money, seriously what do you get?  Well, I can't draw or paint.  I can't sing or play the piano.  Well, I get an expression release.  For the most part, my work is not traditional smooth print displays.  I like heavily contrasted, bordering on saturation overload images.  Subject to change with subject.  I can go on a photo 'high' for days when I get a photo of a jet demonstration team where the window of opportunity was only a fraction of a second for the perfect shot, or the work involved to get the 'perfect' focus on the model train set using focus stacking where you can read the train numbers or expand the train colors or with getting the close ups of the juvenile bald eagles.  It's physics with the bending of light.  It's technology with the electronics and software.  And it's the people you meet and the places you go.  Silly rabbit, dumb question.
4.  You have a camera, you can take pictures of my.....  Follow me here.  NO I CAN'T.  Sorry.  You have a phone, take your own photos.  See the part about Professional, I don't make money on this.  There are exceptions of course, but if you ask me get ready for that answer.  I have been asked by friends and family to photograph events and for the most part I've politely declined.  I'll chip in for the cost of a professional with no issues.  I've also gladly accepted requests when there were reasons other than I had a camera.
Those were the questions from the article.  I'm trying to think of other questions I've been asked.  Those four questions pretty much cover it for me.
Today's thoughts......

1 comment: