Monday, November 19, 2018

Winter Shots - St. Joseph North Pier light - 2015

In January of 2015, I braved the cold temps and winds to get some photographs on the St. Joseph North Pier light.  This is one of my favorite places to hit up when I get the itch to day travel and take a few shots.  Lots of lines and subjects.
For this December's club meeting I need two winter shots.  Going back in my history, I might find a few.  This will be one and I have an idea for for the second.  It will be pure Michigan.
Returning to this shot.  There's a lot to like.  The ice formations are really good, lots of potential to work with.  The red of the rear light breaks up the image a bit.  The ice formation on the front light gives an interesting illusion the light is leaning, not quite straight.
The overall light is odd.  I think it has to do with the light reflecting off the snow.  Looks very pastel.  
This is a quick edit with PS to get some idea of the image out of the camera.  Yes, those are two brave souls out in front of the front light.  I'm not sure if they survived the day or not.


This needs to look a bit harder, get some contrast added.  That helps because it will also give some definition to the snow and ice.  The sky has enough definition to pass.  If I make it look really harsh, which isn't bad for my tastes, the result may not be suitable for the masses.
I worked my usual processing with PS and On One.  The product hadn't left the pastel state enough for me.  With a rare combination of left and right brain working together, I added some NIK filtering.  Played with the sliders until I got the look I was going for.


ISO 200, f/6.3, 1/640 sec, 150 mm
D90/18.0-200.0 mm f/3.5-5.6

That looks like a Michigan winter day, noon .

No comments:

Post a Comment