Saturday, November 3, 2018

Great Egret in the Trees

A lot of the time I spend driving around the Refuge, I miss the obvious.  Usually I'm looking up in the air for birds in flight - or looking down to the ground looking for birds on the ground or swimming.  I will miss a photograph like this, where an interesting subject is close to eye level.  But miss this one, I did not.
I like this shot, a lot.  It has the greens, it has the bird and it has the wood.  The wood really speaks to me,  Wood can do so much if presented right.  The effects of sharpening and contrast really bring out some character.  Of course, the trick is to not overdo it.  
In a lot of the Refuge, the greens and yellows are good for me.  Behind the bird, it has something not green which really speaks to me.    Sort of fall-ish.  
And the bird.  It has to be there.  In this case, I don't mind it not being the center of the subject.  Sure, it draws your eye.  But to me, it doesn't keep it.  The bird is not large enough to take over the scene.  My eye wanders.  And I'm OK with that.


ISO 800, f/8, 1/1250 sec, 600 mm

Next year, I'll work not not being so excited to get a nature picture that I'll see more of the obvious.

No comments:

Post a Comment