Thursday, May 9, 2019

Class of 45 Demo Team

The class of 45 Demo (http://classof45.com/) team tours many air shows every year.  The team consists of two WWII era prop driven fighters, the P51D Mustang and the F4U-4 Corsair.  Both aircraft have thousands of hours in restoration invested.
This is one of the acts that really excited me to go to this year's show.  I've seen many P51s in flight and P51 kit planes as well.  I've seen a static display of the F4U, but never heard one or seen on in flight.  Bucket list item.  Bucket list item now crossed off the list as completed.
I could listen to WWII aircraft engines all day.
The show was fun to watch, as both aircraft performed many maneuvers.  
The photography part of this was challenging.  First absolute sunshine.  The blue reflection off the metal skin of the P51 had a blueish tone.  And the P51 is at one end of the light spectrum and the F4U is at the other.  And to capture the prop blur correctly, the shutter speed has to be slower.  I took maybe 50-55 shots of the act and maybe only 5 came out to be usable - my standards.  many would look good on smaller medium like a phone or table, but we march to the monitor test here.



This is at the furthest reach of my equipment, 450 mm.  Just another argument to go shopping.



One of the new tricks I've picked up from this trip, from perfect blue skies is to use a graduated filter for the light level.  If there is no definition in the sky, make some.  Looks fairly natural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment