Saturday, May 11, 2019

Niles Tool Works

Last fall I got hooked on the steam railroad engine, PM 1225.  After the holiday run, the engine spends the winter going through maintenance at the Steam Railroading Institute in Owasso, MI. 
Today, the Flint Photography club had the behind the scenes tour.  As far as the tour goes, we were paired up with a few volunteers who had a wealth of knowledge, and made sure we didn't hurt ourselves.  And although the trains and support cars were interesting, my end of the rainbow was all the unused/forgotten cars.  What stories could they tell?
Some of the machines, I had no idea what they were for.  But the colors and textures were too good to pass up.  The rust, the cracked pain and metal, just can't find that anywhere.
So this is not a picture of a train, per se.  It is on a train car, trust me.  This appears to be a mobile maintenance tool.



I worked with a 35 mm prime lens for the day.  I traveled light and if I had to do it over again I'd do the same.  In later indoor shots, I could have used a flash, but I didn't, and that decision could use some review.  But the outdoor shots were pretty good despite the bland sky.  Or in shots with no sky, it all works out.



This could be a winch of some sort, but most of the internal mechanics are gone.  But that is OK, the exterior is just fine.  I like the layout of this, I usually don't get this lucky for everything to fall into place.  And what would this look like in Paint?



No favorites here, I like both!

No comments:

Post a Comment