Saturday, May 18, 2019

Eagle talking

I had to work for this one.
Yes, in mid-Michigan we now have those pesky green things that attach themselves to trees.  And block views.  And actually it is a good thing, it signals warmth.
However leaves are beginning to block my view of the local Eagle's nest.  The Eaglets are moving quite a bit but I can only get some brief glimpses for now.  Maybe at another time they will go to another part of the nest that I can see better.  So for now, the nest is almost off limits.  But Dad is still watching from a close by branch.  Out in the open.  Almost.
From my favorite Eagle paparazzi place, I have a clear path to view Dad, except for one lone branch that is attached to the limb he is sitting on.  If he moves four inches either way, good view.  And he doesn't move just to move his feet.  I was there for half an hour and he stayed put.
And that's OK, because he stayed put for the next half hour while I moved around.
I found another spot around the small water 'lake' with a clear view, but quite a bit farther away.  The images came out alright and one may make it to the blog.  I had to work for that one as well.  Lot's of brush to move through.
Then I tried the first location I used many months ago.  This is sneaking up to the tree that supports the nest.  And it's not easy to get to.  Again, working to get the image.  And in this case, I would be getting the back end the Eagle, not facing it.  Maybe it would work?
I was lucky.  When I found a place where the spring tree limbs with new leaves didn't get in my way, it was pretty heavy bush.  Gotta do what you gotta do.
I finally found a good place.  Every now and again, the Eagle would turn its head and I'd have a good shot.
Then two things happened I didn't expect.  First, the wind picked up and starting moving the leaves and branches (not helpful) and the Eagle began to chatter (helpful).  I'll take that trade every day.



This was at 600 mm.  I'm getting a lot more confident with the 1.3 size mode that allows me to get the extra reach.  Of course, I could really use a 500 or 600 mm lens as well.  Another time, another post.
And it was a healthy crop.  Looks good on the monitor and that is all that counts.



Some of the distortion in the sky are out of focus leaves that are in the way.  And I caught a bit of him doing some left wing maintenance, air it out in the breeze. But to get the timing of the Eagle chatting I'll live with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment