Tuesday, May 14, 2019

F4U Inverted

When reviewing all the images from the air show earlier this month, I over looked this one because it was a bit on the fuzzy side.  Not bad.  Would look good, or OK, on a small medium.  But it really is a nice shot.
There are three interesting parts of this image to me.
First, and foremost, is the prop and the front of the aircraft.  Prop is blurred, the yellow tip of the prop is coming across the blur paint of the cowling.  You have the yellow prop hub.  And there is some silver stuff going on.  The yellow prop tips coming across the cowling set this image apart for me.
Another area is the cockpit.  You can see the pilot's headgear.  Close enough you could talk with the guy.  The canopy glass is clear.  And since he is pretty much inverted, there is no sun spot or cloud reflection.  Just clear.
And this may sound odd, but the yellow tail tip gets to me as well.  Just makes me look at the entire tail section.  And maybe that's what kept me away earlier from this image, the writing on the tail section was just too blurry.  The decals may be a bit soft in the final image, and I'd like them to be a bit more crisp.  But as is it doesn't ruin the image for me.



All things being equal, I don't like shooting at f/25.  I feel that is not my best opportunity for a crisp image.  But when the subject is in the air, with no cloud cover, you just do what you have to do.  Fix it later.
That 600 mm (math) reach at 1/160 second doesn't help much either.  So spray and pray and hope fore the best.  (Sometimes you get lucky.)
At least the ISO was in the ball park.  Something that worked for me.



There is more software work in this than I'm usually comfortable with.  But software was created to be used.  This one might cost me though, the trial period is almost over.
For me, this is the  best of the air show bunch.  It is inverted, you can read the decals and there is pretty good prop blur.  That one will run the blue ink out of the printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment